Saturday, January 2, 2016

Tagore I

Why mist clouds my heart-sky
Prevents me seeing you,
This attachment-mist Blinds me,
Prevents me seeing you;

Why must I see you only occasionally
And not forever?

In a split-light, in an eyelid-flutter
I perceive you;
An enduring fear- your Being lost,
For I lose you in a moment’s surprise,
My desire unfulfilled- I lose you
In the flutter of an eye- I lose you
My heart unsatiated- I lose you.

What must I do to obtain you
And keep you stored in vision?
O Eternal, wherefrom will I get such love
To store you in my heart?
Am I capable?
Who is, without your empathy?
Unless you yourself arrive?

I won’t look at any other self
Thus I pledge my life.
If thus be your words-
At this moment will I
Surrender my craving for the tangible
At your feet;
Surrender will I, un-fatigued.
Surrender will I, within your Being.

(translation of মাঝে মাঝে তব দেখা পাই, চীরদিন কেন পাই না...)

No comments: